Aarhus University Seal / Aarhus Universitets segl

Working in Denmark

As an international student (EU & Nordic citizens) following a higher educational programme, you are allowed to work 37 hours per week. International students coming from non-EU countries can work 20 hours per week as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August.

Please note that if your student residence permit is issued before 31 December 2014 you are only allowed to work 15 hours per week as well as full-time during the months of June, July and August.

Apply for a work permit at the same time as applying for a residence certificate/permit. However, if you are a Nordic citizen, you can work without a permit.

Read more about applying for residence permit here.

If you work illegally in Denmark, you risk deportation, and you and your employer risk fine or imprisonment.


Tax registration

All residents of Denmark, as well as people staying in Denmark for more than six months, are fully liable to taxation in Denmark. This means that any income earned in Denmark is subject to taxation in Denmark. Any income earned in another country is subject to tax in that particular country. Denmark has entered into double taxation agreements with a number of countries in order to avoid tax being paid on the same income in both countries. Prior to departure you should contact the local tax authorities in your home country to settle this matter.

As soon as you arrive in Denmark and accept employment, you must contact the local tax authorities in your municipality. They will issue an electronic tax card, which your employer needs in order to calculate your taxes. The Danish tax rules are quite complicated so it is important that you talk to the local tax administration before taking up work. If you do not have an electronic tax card, your employer must withhold 60% of your salary.

Tax authorities in Aarhus

Lyseng Allé 1

8270 Højbjerg

Visiting hours: Monday-Wednesday 10-14, Thursday 10-17, Friday 10-14

Tel: (+45) 7222 1818 (Danish tax authorities main number)

Monday-Wednesday 9-16, Thursday 9-18, Friday 9-14



What to remember when registering at the tax authorities

You need to bring:

  • Information about salary and pension (contract of employment)
  • Your purchase agreement if you have purchased a property
  • Information about free benefits (free car or free board and lodging)
  • Credit information about interest income and expenses, foreign accounts etc.
  • Personal identification, e.g. a passport

Read more about taxation at www.workindenmark.dk (under Information > Information for jobseekers > Tax rules) or on the SKAT website www.skat.dk.